Tacoma Family Law FAQs

Home/Tacoma Family Law FAQs

In Washington State the soonest that a divorce can be finalized is 90 days after both filing and service have occurred. However, a contested divorce can potentially take a year or longer to resolve. The amount of time that a specific case will require will depend entirely on the issues of the individual case.

This is dependent upon the issues that are involved. The initial process is to begin the process by filing a petition and summons. Once the other person is served, then the process begins. If you cannot wait until finalization of the process to get relief, you can always ask the court for temporary orders to carry you through the process.

It does not.

Generally, no, as it is not possible to guess as to what the other side is going to do. However, if your divorce is issue specific it is possible to give you a fairly close estimate.

Everyone has a right to be heard by the court. However, you do not need your spouse’s “permission” or agreement in order to get a divorce. Fighting it, though, does increase the financial and emotional costs of the process.

You can get a legal separation which will, in essence, give you all the “benefits” of a divorce without obtaining a divorce. This is an option for some people who need to remain as a “dependent” of the other spouse for financial reasons, such as medical coverage, or for religious reasons.

You need to promptly and formally respond to avoid the other side getting court orders in your absence.

The law is gender neutral when it comes to custody; so there are many factors that the court considers when determining custody.

The law requires that the property and debts be divided in a fair and equitable manner.

This depends on many factors. You will need to consult with an attorney who can discuss your case with you and determine whether or not this would apply in your case.

Technically both parents pay child support! The amount one parent pays directly to the other (called a transfer payment) depends on many factors, for example, who has custody, how much both parents make, the amount of visitation the noncustodial parent gets, and whether-or-not there are children from other relationships.

You can still get a divorce in Washington if you are in the military. Any rights or benefits you receive from the military will be factored in to the divorce process.

A divorce is a very complicated process. In the divorce process you only get one chance to have it done correctly. You need an attorney to help you navigate the process and to make sure all of your rights are being represented.

Generally, no. There are, however, some minor exceptions.

That may be an option to you. Also, in some cases a step parent can have rights to remain in the lives of your step children.

If you would like to see any additional questions and answers on this page, please contact using our contact form.  Input from you is always important to us!