Child And Spousal Support

Understanding Your Finances After A Divorce

Finances can cause such a strain on a family. Understandably, when you separate from your partner, it can be difficult to know how things will work moving forward. Getting experienced legal advice is of the utmost importance. At Lutz & Associates, P.S., we provide you with the effective representation you need. Our skilled divorce attorneys have been helping clients determine child and spousal support since 1997.

Spousal Support Vs. Child Support

In Washington, the court determines spousal and child support very differently. Spousal support takes many different factors into consideration. They include:

  • Financial conditions for each spouse
  • Length of the marriage
  • Length of time the spouse who makes less money would need to become self-sufficient
  • Age and emotional state of both spouses

Together, we can look at your case and determine what is fair. While our goal is to work with your spouse’s attorney, we are not afraid of a challenge. Child support, on the other hand, takes different considerations into account. The best interest of the child is always the most important factor. However, there are many other aspects, including:

  • Where the child will primarily reside
  • Educational and medical needs
  • Age of the child
  • Income of both parents

Who pays child support and how much?

Technically, both parents pay child support! The amount one parent pays directly to the other (called a transfer payment) depends on many factors, for example, who has custody, how much both parents make, the amount of visitation the noncustodial parent gets and whether there are children from other relationships.

Call Today For Guidance

We will do our best to make sure you and your child receive fair compensation. We are determined to figure out the fairest possible settlement for all parties involved. If you have questions about spousal support or child support, don’t wait. Let us help you figure out your financial future. Call our office in Tacoma today at 253-292-5939, text us at 253-292-5939 or fill out our contact form.


Family Law

Domestic Violence and Protection Orders